View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 11:16   #786
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traduk View Post
The announcement by Talk Talk needs IMO to be read in the context of purely what is says and what it doesn't say.

They state very clearly that they are committed to the trial from which it can be assumed that a contractual obligation exists which would be financially painful to them should they not proceed.

The statement regarding opt-in must be viewed ONLY with regards to the trial and trialists because that is all the statement truly relates to and has no relevance to what might happen with a general roll-out.

IMO they have hedged their bets very neatly and pushed into the future any decision on whether it's a failure and we will not implement or it's the best thing since sliced bread therefore everyone must have it and it's opt-out.

I suspect that this is a clever ploy to buy time and let the furore settle down and will probably be adopted by the other ISP's. It does open another avenue of approach for Talk Talk users which is that if the Phorm system can be totally by-passed in a trial then by default it must be possible if the profiler is implemented on a permanent basis. If the ISP subsequently chooses that opt-out is the way to go then they become accountable for that choice.
There has been a lot more said in Talk Talks statement then the Virgin Media one.

If they can completely remove you from the profiler then i cannot see why VM will not be able to do the same.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer