View Single Post
Old 24-11-2020, 15:31   #6
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Major changes proposed in new Freeview consultation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
​<cont>

Again this is my initial thoughts and interpretation. They kept saying in the document that, at least to start with, any broadcaster who wanted a "IP fallback" would also need to have an app on Freeview Play as it would use processes already used for streaming channels provided in the existing Freeview Play-compliant apps. They also said organisational procedures (i.e. paperwork to comply and be added, not interface placement related) already used for current services/apps would will be used as they are already in place.

I may copy'n'paste pieces later as to what I'm trying to convey above, as my wording doesn't seem quite correct, I'm composing it from memory and their wording seemed clearer.

I think this all might mean that some of the streaming proposals could be implemented on older equipment, at least existing Freeview Play-branded equipment, just not all of the proposals.

So HD swapping and at least some of the streaming proposals will only work on models from 2020 onwards that have Channel List Management functionality. I don't get the impression there will be a branding launched to help the public identify compatible models, they certainly don't seem to mention it.

They don't mention how CLM works.
This is not surprising, really. Freeview is very much a free digital terrestrial platforms service, which is great for how things are today. But any company that wants to survive in this fast changing digital world will be acutely aware of the need to prepare for the future.

With this initiative, we can see a future developing in which Freeview will be supporting a whole range of free streaming services instead of TV channels. The only question I have is whether they will also provide subscription services in the long term, which they may need to do for the sake of financial viability. In which case they may wish to modify their name to Freeview+!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote