Thread: Brexit (Old)
View Single Post
Old 23-11-2018, 21:57   #3648
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
well don’t use it now then.

I didn’t say advantage.
Did you not say advantage because we don't have one?

Quote:
You proposed what would we use, if not the £39bn, as leverage in our negotiation.

I simply advised that £39bn is but our annual trade with the EU, and some countries more than others rely on this. EU negotiators would be wise to factor this in, if it was threatened due to political point scoring rather than sensible decisions.
I'm convinced the EU will have factored this in, and the extent we rely on the EU for our imports.

We cannot readily import such a significant amount from non-EU territories, there's no guarantees alternative suppliers would exist and if they did that they would have the capacity to deliver for our manufacturing industries that rely on 'just in time' methods. There's no guarantee all such items from out with the EU would meet UK regulatory standards.

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

How so?

Fair enough, badly worded.

Replace parliament with establishment.
The decision to leave the EU isn't grounded in any economic reality. It isn't a massive leap to decide that the same electorate who chose this, and the MPs guiding it, may decide to just leave without any kind of trade deal in a belief we can go back to the days of Rule Britannia. To not prepare for that eventuality would be reckless by the EU, and making such preparations would give them huge leverage in late stage negotiations (like now).

I've got bad news the Britannia is a clapped out old boat in the port of Leith attached to a shopping centre for down and outs.

How does the "Establishment" loses it's authority? The who idea of an "Establishment" is that they influence both sides of a debate and both main political parties. Who replaces them under a FPTP electoral system?