Thread: General 1Gb Review
View Single Post
Old 31-10-2019, 19:07   #45
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: 1Gb Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I think your memory is lapsing again, Max. 50Mbit was launched at the end of 2008, as the first 3.0 service but the great migration to 3.0 (Which was marketed as speed doubling) was 2012. That's when 20meg moved "for free" to 30meg and required users to get upgraded to a 3.0 device.
you are partly correct, I remember quite vividly posting about it at the time and I remember that within 6 months of 50mbit being released that despite being advertised as stm free, they introduced stm on the tier because they were migrating 20mbits customers across as well which was going to place more load on the network. Luckily the existing subscribers were immune for another 9 months or so I think before it was inflicted upon us.

I have done a quick search to see if I can find any of my posts from the time talking about it and I have found one from March 2009. From the sounds of it they were moving 20mbit customers onto docsis 2.0 because 1.0 was at breaking point.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...2#post34759665
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote