View Single Post
Old 22-05-2019, 23:05   #886
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

I don't think the Sky name will be dropped by Comcast, far from it, but instead and despite Comcast's earlier statements that their streaming service will carry the NBC Universal branding, I think they will use the Sky brand.

Sky as we know it today will morph from a satellite tv service into a IPTV service probably using Comcast's xfinity branding and Sky will be the brand solely used for the global streamer in the end, or something like that.

---------- Post added at 23:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Old Boy conveniently forgets that in his proposed future everyone will have difficulty obtaining content because it’s going to be vertically integrated end to end. I don’t see why Comcast/Sky/NBC Universal are going to find that more challenging that Netflix or Amazon (or anyone to be honest).
I don't see in a future world dominated by streaming services, that people will find it difficult to find content, quite the opposite.

At the moment it's completely hit and miss about where to find stuff, but if the media companies keep their own content solely on their own streaming services and that is a if, then it will be easy. If you want Star Wars, Simpsons and Mickey Mouse, I think everyone will quickly learn that they need to head to Disney for that.

Take another example: NCIS. Currently that show and its offspring are littered about the tv schedules and are on several channels all at once each evening. Wouldn't it be easier if it were all on just one service, the CBS/Viacom (or whatever it will be called) streamer?

If we end up in 10-20 years with half a dozen main streamers as the primary method to watch tv, then six places rather than the current mass of hundreds of channels, seems a lot easier to navigate, if it goes that way.