View Single Post
Old 29-11-2019, 11:47   #21
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Election 2019 - Week 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I'm afraid with our electoral system it's a question of who you don't want, and the best way of achieving that wherever you live. A vote for anybody other than the top 2 parties in your constituency is wasted, it's a crazy system that disenfranchises a lot of the electorate.
That's one way of looking at it and hard to argue with.

However, I and many others are members of one party or another (or long term supporters) and in my case I don't want Corbyn and I'm loyal to the Conservatives who pose no threat to society.

Ergo full circle to the very valid point you've made.

Does that mandate a change to the electoral system? Well, proportional representation will always lead to a hung Parliament and wishy-washy direction. A single transferable vote will crystallise election results yet remain with the present system of being able to produce a governing party.

Are coalitions a good idea? Actually the 2010 coalition wasn't a disaster (bar the students' price hike) but a Labour-Lib coalition would have destroyed us.

My advice is at your risk.