View Single Post
Old 20-08-2019, 16:23   #2263
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Rubbish!

I know a reasonable number of people aged between 20 and 335, and I don’t know one who thinks that way.
I think it's a fallacy that most people under 35 think the world owes them a cheap home. I think they are very aware that will not happen. There *are* people that think they are owed everything, but I think they come in all ages, and come from all social backgrounds.

I think the problem here is still the property boom. I know a lot of millennials resent the way things have happened, and I can understand why. After all, to those born after the 1970s, it seems like baby boomers had a good chance of getting a relatively well-paid job, and property was relatively cheaply available, while those under 30 today are having to deal with a dwindling supply of jobs, zero hour contracts, wages that are (in a lot of cases) rising lower than inflation, and property prices that started high and were, until recently, increasing at a rate much higher than inflation.

That said, millennials are not entirely blame-free. I've met English people who moan they don't have a job, blaming the foreigners, but in reality, they aren't willing to work, preferring to get whatever they can from benefits (and, in some cases, less legal means). I've had periods where I've had no job, but I've gone for every job I could, even unskilled manual labour, just to work.

Last edited by Stuart; 20-08-2019 at 16:28.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote