View Single Post
Old 06-01-2022, 10:04   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: getting full speed from my Gig1 connection

that would work fine but I get the feeling you are getting confused as to what you are going to or trying to achieve.

1) If you are going to connect the new switch to the shub all you are going to be doing is extending your network. The PC will work absolutely fine and by having the switch at the top of the network all connected devices such as your pc can run at 2.5gbits if their NICs allow. The emphasis here is that your lan will run up to 2.5gbits and not the internet.

2) I get the impression you are trying to circumvent the 1gbit port restrictions so you can achieve greater than 1gbit speed if you are on the 1gbit tier. If that is the case you are out of luck. You have got to remember that it is a switch and not a router so you still need a router on your network (the shub 4 in this case) to handle NAT and dhcp etc. The shub 4 only has 1gbit ports so no matter what you have behind it everything will only run at 940mbits across the internet.
Your speed will always be as fast as the slowest link and even if your clients and switches on the lan were running at 10gbit, as soon as they hit the shub they are going through a 1gbit port and will slow down.

There is no way to achieve what I am assuming you want to at the moment until you get a shub 5 which has a 2.5gbit port on it. When you get that then you can use the switch you have linked to above and everything will run at full wan speed.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote