View Single Post
Old 14-02-2024, 20:31   #499
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: VM General News Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Who will they be?

CityFibre and the altnets ( worst band ever, I have their first album) can’t afford to consolidate.

There will be some, but it won’t coalesce around CityFibre.

VMO2/NexFibre have M&A built into their future business plan.
On the altnets, I reckon Vodafone will gobble them up. But then you'll say, didn't I say that all of those on that list will have a mobile co, which clearly Sky don't have and indeed I did.

I don't believe VM in its current form is long for this world and baring in mind what Sky's owner's main business is, I think the direction is clear. And yes, I know about the regulators, but something will happen.

So, who will the list be, hard to tell. We need to know what is going to happen with BT first. Whether the Germans make their move or Patrick Draghi. But I would say, as shown by the AT&T Warner demerger, do not assume that the current combinations of media and telecoms will last.

So, in terms of networks, (not consumer services) I reckon something like this:

BT/EE networks. (Deutsche Telekom/Patrick Draghi likely buyers)
VM cable network (Comcast) and O2
Vodafone with altnets

---------- Post added at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was at 20:15 ----------

And by the way, I think three separate networks is ridiculous anyway and something I lobbied against many years, not that anyone paid any notice.

For the last three months, every time I walk outside my home, someone is digging up the roads and/or up telegraph poles installing fibre equipment. Different companies... What a waste of bloody money.

There should've just been one network, run by a network operator (call it Netcom..) and lease out the capacity to various companies to offer consumer services. But hey, that boat has sailed long ago.

Last edited by Horizon; 14-02-2024 at 20:22.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote