View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 11:12   #13
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Freesat from Sky

Personally I use a non-SKY or FREESAT box, not bothered about HD...

The box has a cardslot so I can watch FTV and FTA.. The ONLY problem is that you can't activate a SKY FTV card in a non-sky box, but there's lots about already activated or just buy a cheapo box from a carboot/ebay and sell it on for the same price..

My DVB-S box though does have a few extra features which I suppose is why I have it instead of an easier to use freesat box and that is ethernet which I can stream media from the PC and also stream broadcasts to the PC.. Also I have twin (not dual) LNB's (used to have a motorised dish but it's too much of a pain) with the 2nd LNB pointing towards another sat (the box does disecQ switching or motorcontrol)

If though I was starting up and wanted an easy to use box it would be FREESAT, if though I already had a full Sky system and wanted to go FTV then I'd stick with the Sky system.. You could though run both if you so desired with a dual/quad LNB (depends on PVR or not)

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW View Post
I'm thinking of using my old Sky box to get Freesat Free to Air channels.

Can anyone confirm whether this will work without buying the £20 sky card? I'd understood the card is only required to decrypt a couple of FTV channels. So if I have no card can I still get BBC and ITV without getting prompted to insert my card the whole time.
The Sky FTV list is full accesable via the £20 card But suprised they're still selling them as the ONLY ones I believe are still encrypted are SKY3, Five Life (Fiver), Five US and Setanta Sports News (is that last one still running?), but a lot of channels which FREESAT uses are not programmed into a SKY box.. BUT depending on the box and the engineers menu there has been people who have manually programmed in the other channels BUT this is a long and thankless task and if the channels change they will not update. In the end Sky is fighting a losing battle with FTV and FREESAT will eventually win.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote