View Single Post
Old 25-03-2020, 12:26   #1277
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
For those wondering about the impact of working from home on the internet have a read of this.

A Snapshot of UK and EU Broadband Speed During COVID-19
Good find - an important part of that article was
Quote:
The issue of local network congestion within your home is arguably more likely to impact such speedtests in the current climate, particularly in busy family homes where it may be incredibly difficult to conduct an even remotely accurate speedtest (you’d have to switch off every other connected device, stop all background downloads and do it via a wired link on a proper computer).
My son is working from home (his flat) at the moment, and as he cannot access his, or the common, network drive (not enough Citrix licences), everything is being done through O365 mail - his girlfriend does TEFL to Chinese children for about 6-7 hours a day, which requires two way video; this was impacting on his speed/productivity, as they were both using Wi-fi (as well as all the other things in the flat (Amazon Fire Stick, Spotify, etc.)), so I gave him a 10 meter Cat6 cable, and lo and behold, the problem disappeared...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.