View Single Post
Old 26-10-2021, 21:22   #455
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don’t believe for one moment that Sky want to leave the market. All they have said is that there is a limit to how much they will bid for rights to the Premier League.

I am relaxed about who provides sports content in this country - I don’t watch it and I don’t care. I have merely shared my thoughts on what I think will happen, which is that sooner or later the streamers will take over.

All the streamers bring to the market is financial clout and better ideas on how the rights they acquire could be maximised by bringing sports to a wider audience and possibly by selling merchandise - not to mention take up for other services provided on their platforms. That’s why I am beginning to think there may be better value here for Amazon, Disney and Discovery. However, it is fair to say that Comcast is in a similar position now it has acquired Sky.

Whatever happens, streaming will end up being used for the delivery of the Premier League. The transfer to streaming will be slower if Comcast successfully bids because they have a satellite service and there is no necessity to disrupt that while the satellite service is maintained. Even if streamers successfully bid, they may set up channels temporarily until our broadband system is better, but my view is that they will close those channels in favour of ‘streaming only’ at their earliest opportunity.

By the way, I think we all know that you disagree with that. So we’ll have to wait and see, won’t we?

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:52 ----------

It’s becoming more apparent by the day that this is Sky’s intention. They may close their satellite service altogether sometime in the 2030s.
Well yes, I’ll disagree.

DAZN appear to be regretting their sojourn into boxing and other secondary rights, recognising (as Sky do) that it’s the top dollar rights that bring in customers month in, month out.

Saul Alvarez vs Caleb Plant is on BT Sport Box Office in the UK when that should naturally be part of their ambitions. Eddie Hearn appears to have more limited funds at his disposal, and influence, in the North American market as ESPN and others go from strength to strength.

I’m not sure how we have moved from “deep pockets” to “market clout” I’m intrigued to know what the difference is. Is it, as I’ve been bleating on for what appears to be decades, a viable business model?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote