View Single Post
Old 27-03-2020, 23:09   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Looking for advice on running Ethernet in the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Thanks for all of the advice, guys. I realise it is not an easy job and it might be difficult to do, but I'd like to give it a go (insofar as doing some research to find out just what's involved before I commit).

Thanks, but powerlines are a non-starter for me as they're just not fast or reliable enough for what I'm planning to do. I have needs beyond just better wifi around the house.

I appreciate it's going to be a ball ache to do for sure, but I appreciate the advice given here. Part of the problem is that I just didn't know what terms to be looking for when researching this (like "noggin").

I don't mind having to cut through some plasterboard to channel through studs and noggins. I know it's tedious and annoying, but if there's a need, there's a need.

There's a soil pipe from the upstairs bathroom going down to the kitchen (And next to the living room, albeit at the opposite side of the Virgin equipment). It's actually quite a large cavity I think, but I guess I just need to find where it exits into the attic to start off with. That will at least get me from the attic to the ground floor. Then I just need to figure out if there's a better way to get from one end of the ground floor to another, but I have an ethernet cable going from one end of the living room to the other already.

I'm partly looking to wire the speaker cables I have as well, but they would have to go across the ceiling (concrete floor) and that's a whole other issue. I have spotlights and I believe these are on "tracks". Is there an easy way to tell the direction those tracks go in, or am I basically going to have to cut a hole in the ceiling to find out?
The studs run top to bottom so shouldn't give you a problem. They'll be spaced 16" apart with a 16" noggin horozontally. the noggin s are for stability of the wall, they add rigidity and normally alternate between studs 1 noggin then 2 noggin, 1 noggin then 2 noggin etc.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote