View Single Post
Old 27-07-2022, 14:49   #36
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media IPTV - Stream Changelog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox35 View Post
And with fewer channels and unable to watch your recordings. Great.
It depends what you are looking for, I guess. I wouldn’t go for Stream because:

1. My wife does not like having to work out where to go to see the programmes she wants to see and prefers to simply access programmes I add to her watchlist. For that to happen, I need to be able to record or bookmark programmes for her on the Virgin box, so she can access everything from that one central watchlist, from which she can go to content from TV channels and streamers. Unfortunately, Netflix isn’t one of them as they have elected not to go for any more integration - a decision I hope they will reverse soon.

2. If we went for stream, as I understand it, we couldn’t record but we could bookmark on the system. However, I don’t think it has profiles like the 360 does, and I’m not sure if the watchlist can be compiled using the other streamers on the system. But it would anyway be a retrograde step because although it does have Disney+, it doesn’t have Discovery+, and some of my wife’s favourite programmes are on there. Due to the reduced number of TV channels, she couldn’t watch these programmes on demand either.

3. If I was only catering for myself, it still wouldn’t be good enough because there are too few streamers on there, and as I said, I like to have one watchlist for as many TV channels and streamers as possible. The closest I can get to that is with my 360 box.

I am still waiting for a company to see the importance of getting to the point of embracing all the streamers with the ability of the box provided to be able to bring all the content together in a central watchlist. I have no idea whether that will ever happen, and in the meantime the user has to negotiate all the various interfaces, which is unsatisfactory.

---------- Post added at 14:02 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
I take it that the VM stream box is like the Sky stream box and doesn't offer any recording facilties at all!?

And the available catchup option does not cover all 100% of programmes on the main channels.
I think you can bookmark most content from all the channels (they describe it as ‘recording to the cloud’, I believe, but it is the same thing).

I think most of the catch up content is on the various players as well, but others may be able to clarify that.

---------- Post added at 14:49 ---------- Previous post was at 14:02 ----------

I believe the closest we have to a universal watchlist currently is Plex.