View Single Post
Old 29-03-2021, 12:51   #1920
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Science Fiction, Fantasy, and other TV Snippets

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
It clearly is and you have just made my point for me. No meddling by the tv networks or Disney and Marvel strikes gold. All I am asking for is the same freedom for any future Stargate series.
How does that make your point for you? Marvel Studios is an absolute behemoth, worth $4 billion the day Disney bought it. It's about a gazillion miles away from what you're asking with regards to Stargate, which appears to be that Michael Shanks and his mates be allowed to re-start production on a property owned by MGM, a studio of of comparable value to Marvel, without significant oversight by the studio.

What would be the chances of Robert Downey Jr being allowed to produce an Iron Man prequel TV series in the MCU without close oversight from Feige and his staff at Marvel Studios? Absolute zero. The Marvel films, and the new Marvel TV shows, are a runaway success because Marvel Studios is firmly in control.

That, incidentally, is not a pitch for the studio system, or to claim everything a major studio does is always better than anything produced or exec produced by an actor with a personal stake in a project. Far from it. I just don't recognise the categories you're sketching out here. Marvel Studios' MCU project works because the person in creative control is exceptionally good at what he does. Marvel Television had inconsistent levels of success because the same level of vision and control did not exist there.

Stargate, likewise, would not succeed just because the studio that owns the property is kept at arms length, because there's nothing intrinsically bad about that system of production. It very much depends on who the creative lead is, not which office they're sitting in.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote