View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 18:45   #31
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Oscar 2020 Nominations

Okay, it has been a bit of a slog but I have watched 15 films which pretty much encompasses the major films nominated in each category and below is the list of who I would like to see win in each category. It sounds cliché and you always hear the award winner say it in their acceptance speeches but I think there is a lot of talent in each category this year and there are some categories where I think there is more than one deserving winner.
I think the biggest travesty is that Endgame wasn't nominated for best picture because out of all the films I saw last year, which is a lot, Endgame was by far the best for so many reasons and likewise I think Robert Downey Jr should have been nominated for best actor.
I haven't put Parasite in as a joke for best picture, I am serious. If you get the chance to watch it you should. I was tempted to turn it off during the first 10 minutes because you get the feeling it is going to be a cheesy low budget weak story film but it gets going and is really good.
We all like to have a whinge every year that most of the films nominated are films we have never heard of and that more popular mainstream films should be nominated. I have commented in the past that one of the reasons why I like to watch each of the nominated films is that there are always a few surprises and you always get a couple films which are based on true stories or events. The standout for me this year, and it can be easily overlooked as it has only been nominated for one award, is Harriet. I went into without having watched a trailer or read a synopsis and knew nothing about it at all other than the actress in it is nominated for lead actress. I just put it on and watched it. It was a very moving story. Anyways, let me know what you think, especially if you would like to see another film win.

Best Picture: Parasite
Lead Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”
Lead Actress: Cynthia Erivo, “Harriet”
Supporting Actor: Tom Hanks, “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood”
Supporting Actress: Margot Robbie, “Bombshell”
Director: Quentin Tarantino, “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”
Animated Feature:“Toy Story 4,” Josh Cooley
Adapted Screenplay: “Little Women,” Greta Gerwig
Original Screenplay: “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” Quentin Tarantino
Cinematography: “1917,” Roger Deakins
Best International Film“Parasite,” Bong Joon Ho
Film Editing: “Ford v Ferrari,” Michael McCusker, Andrew Buckland
Sound Editing: “Star Wars: The Rise of SkyWalker,” Matthew Wood, David Acord
Sound Mixing: “Ford v Ferrari”
Production Design: “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” Barbara Ling and Nancy Haigh
Original Score: “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker,” John Williams
Original Song: “Into the Unknown,” “Frozen 2”
Makeup and Hair: “Bombshell”
Costume Design: “Little Women,” Jacqueline Durran
Visual Effects: “Avengers Endgame”

I have a sneaky feeling that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood will pick up best picture and Parasite will get best foreign language film.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote