View Single Post
Old 18-03-2008, 10:05   #1358
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxminx View Post
So what is the official cableforum line on using ad blocking software? You would obviously prefer that we didn't? As I've said before, I didn't know that cableforum had adverts, as I've never seen any. Should you not make it clear when people join that you would prefer them to turn off any adblocking software?
We have no official line, as far as I am aware. Nor do I think we need one. Generally we are not too bothered whether people have ad blocking software or not, it's just if too many people have it, the site will stop covering it's costs.
Quote:
You surely want people to click on the ads, as it gains income for you, yet you are against Phorm which says it would deliver more targeted and relevant adverts!

So at the end of the day, what would you rather have - Cableforum showing irrelevant ads to its users (waste of time and space), or Cableforum showing relevant ads, thereby increasing your income? Exactly how much income does cableforum gain from advert clickthroughs? Have you thought about making Cableforum ad-free and asking for donations instead? Will cableforum be signing up to Phorm? If not, why not, after all, wouldn't relevant ads be better for both you and us than non-relevant ones?
We aren't in it for profit. Google does pay per view as well as per click, so as long as people see the ads, we get some money. This income is currently covering the sites costs (licences, servers etc). We did accept donations, but this (AFAIK - it was before my time as a mod) didn't really cover ths costs of running the site.

I asked people to consider their actions above simply because the poster called for a mass blocking of ads. If the site loses too much income, it stops covering it's own costs.