View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 18:48   #113
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Bakers who refused to make 'gay cake' say they felt 'victimised'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Why did they deserve to be taken to court? They refused to act against their conscience by refusing to provide one very specific service that they would have refused anyone, regardless of their sexual orientation. The law, as enacted, does not make that a crime. It really ought to have been obvious from the start that no crime had been committed here and it’s shocking that this has had to go all the way to the Supreme Court to establish what the letter and spirit of the law is here.

What has in fact been revealed is a willingness not just on the part of State-funded bodies like the equalities commission, but also within the judiciary, to a fairly senior level, to elevate equalities above conscience. We were perilously close to allowing a precedent that created a thought-crime, which of course was precisely the aim of the activists behind the case and within the EQ that used public money to fund it.

Need I add that recent history shows you don’t have to have a religious faith to fall victim to those who try to use law to force issues of conscience and belief.
My view is simply that they are running a business, and to refuse their customers on 'a point of principle', whether religious or otherwise, is unacceptable.

I have no sympathy for the owners of the business, but I am also completely fed up with political correctness, so I have mixed feelings about this.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote