View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 10:46   #109
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: M1000 is available. How to order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I have taken delivery of my Hub 4 and have set up in modem-only mode. All seems to be running OK, but speed tests are maxing at just under 700Mb. All my Ethernet, cards, routers and switches are of gigabyte standard.

I will wait for 24 hours for things to settle down before investigating.
What was the best speed in router mode, Roughie? That's how I tested in the first instance back in January.

In router mode I got 965/55.

In modem mode, the best I've got is 912/53 connected to an ASUS AC68U.

Ridiculous thing is that the sales guy on the phone said I could expect 1.2 Gbps! As if the Hub 4 had extra legs.

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
just because your router has got gigabit ports on it doesn't mean that it is going to give you gigabits speeds; there are other factors at play. For example, my Asus router has gigabit ports on it but I know it can only do something around 780mbits max. Depending what real world speed I achieved if I upgraded to 1000mb it would make me consider whether to invest in a replacement router or not. If I got 700mbits I wouldn't be too worried about feeling like I am losing out on 300mbits because you have got to ask yourself how often you are actually going to hit 1000mbits and depending what you are downloading file size wise it might last all of a few seconds. If I got 1000mbits (isn't available yet) I would be getting it for the increased upload speed and not the download speed.

If you let me know which router you have got I'll look it up for you and let you know what the wan to lan throughput is.
That's the conundrum, mon General.

Smallnetbuilder says the AC68U has a WAN throughput of 750 Mbps.
Clearly my router has bust that reaching 912 Mbps download on Ookla and under present conditions is usually over 800 Mbps.

Btw, I like the 50 meg upload.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote