View Single Post
Old 18-08-2017, 17:45   #81
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Confirmed: linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
You've hit on what I think the main problem with all of the Linear Pay TV providers. Packages. I'm in the same position as you. We (as a family) watch around 10% of the channels I pay for, but the trouble is, they are spread amongst the packages Virgin Media offer. I suspect my bill would be a lot lower if VM offered per channel charging rather than bunging them into packages. I also suspect that is a major reason why VM won't offer it. Yes, I know VM's billing system may also be unable to cope, but if VM thought the change would be profitable enough, they can change the billing system.

One day, I probably will go through all the packages looking at what I can drop, but I don't really get much time for that sort of stuff at the moment.
Packages are good for families with diverse tastes. What I would like to see is bundles of the most popular channels.

They could also easily bundle channels together on the basis of the cost of those channels. So popular channels like Sky 1 would be bundled with Sky Living and Fox, for example. Likewise, the cheap and cheerful channels like Drama, CBS Drama and True Movies might go together.

The way things are, streaming services are much more attractive on the basis of both content and price.

---------- Post added at 17:45 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

Further evidence here of sports rights being picked up by OTT providers.

Coming to the UK soon...

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/73315...league-rights/