View Single Post
Old 29-05-2008, 01:17   #7453
davidb24v
Inactive

Services: TV (M), Phone (M), Broadband (XXL)
davidb24v is on a distinguished roaddavidb24v is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicz View Post
Yes it does seem that they were in preparation for the trials. But the webwise faqs, contact form etc are bog standard customer service stuff. You will probably find the same contact form embedded in loads of BT pages. the form is just a portal into the CS system which will probably verify that the customer details are known and then attempt to make an intelligent guess about where to send the query. It's very unlikely that anyone is going to tell you anything specific about their configuration in response to a CS query. Much more likely to get a standard 'very sorry should be better soon' or 'don't worry your pretty little head about it'. For UK Government sites this (the network topology) would be restricted information in any case, many big companies take the same approach.

There you go - they are a Siebel user http://www.oracle.com/customers/snap...g-snapshot.pdf
I really am no expert on this stuff but I can't see how this fits with what's in the privacy policy from www.bt.com:

Quote:
Do we share your personal information with anyone else?

As a normal part of our business we share with other communications companies information for connecting and charging for calls over each others networks.

We sometimes use other companies to provide services to you or to provide services to us. To enable them to do this, we may need to share your personal information with them. When we do so, these companies are required to act in accordance with the instructions we give them and they must meet the requirements of the Data Protection Act to keep the information secure.

We may share your personal information with other parts of BT to enable them to conduct their own businesses and to market their products and services to you. We provide this information in accordance with our code of practice on the disclosure of customer information. This code limits BT´s ability to share information in this manner and is intended to prevent BT gaining unfair competitive advantage over its competitors.

We may share your personal information with other companies so that they can contact you with details of other products or services you may be interested in. We will only do this if you have agreed to this and where the companies agree to use your personal information for that purpose only. If you have agreed to receive information about products and services from another company and later decide not to you will need to contact that company yourself to let them know. You can of course ask us not to continue to provide your personal information to any more companies in future.

We may provide information, in response to properly made requests, for the purposes of the prevention and detection of crime, and the apprehension or prosecution of offenders. We may also provide information for the purpose of safeguarding national security. In either case we do so in accordance with the Data Protection Act. We also provide information when required to do so by law, for example under a court order, or in response to properly made demands, under powers contained in legislation.

If there is a change (or prospective change) in the ownership of BT or any of its assets, we may disclose personal information to the new (or prospective) owner. If we do so, we will require them to keep it confidential.

If you believe the personal information we hold on your is incorrect you may amend it by following the procedure set out below in "How can I change the personal information BT holds about me?"
My italics and underling, obviously...

So if anyone who has done a section 12(?) DPA notice makes a request to BT this way then BT phail?

I realise I've just pirated a significant amount of text from a (presumably) (c) BT page. Oh, whatever. Go ahead and sue BT... my first defence witnesses will be, er, BT and that Kent bloke since they've convinced me that anything "on that t'tinterweb thingy" = public domain

Dave