View Single Post
Old 03-05-2021, 21:34   #10411
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
They have figured out a way and are working on it. That’s my understanding from reports I have read.
Here we go again…

Quote:
The latency issue certainly is a problem, but they are 'working on it' as they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
From a "related" thread...

Quote:
Something magic will happen...
Quote:
(sigh...)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45499784

The BBC says it has worked out how to eliminate "streaming lag", which causes live TV to be delayed by several seconds when watched online.
Quote:
<even longer sigh...>

As I explained in that thread on the 1st of this month...

Quote:
Easily - it wasn’t scalable, and wasn’t cost-effective to implement.

From the BBC at the time

Quote:
Quote:
The final latency improvement we have made comes from optimising and streamlining the various processes that our media goes through before it emerges as segments available on the Internet. By doing this, we can show what is possible in terms of low latency distribution, though it’s fair to say that some additional delay is likely to return here if we were to take our prototype and scale it up for full production use.
And as I also said in that thread, when you previously said "they’re working on it"...
Quote:
OB, really? I didn’t know that...

(Except for the fact, as mentioned before, that one of my best friends is a Lead Technical Architect at the BBC, working specifically on the Telecomms area, who speaks at International conferences on the impact of 5G on broadcasting, and who is a member of a National 5G Working Group advising the UK Government, and my comments are informed by discussions with him - which highly experienced technical resource at the BBC are your comments informed by?).
btw, the original article was from September 2018 - doesn’t appear to have been much visible progress since then.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 03-05-2021 at 21:42.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote