View Single Post
Old 14-04-2006, 17:57   #162
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: [Merged] Car Phone Warehouse BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by welwynrose
I've just read this on another site

Following Talk Talk's offer, NTL has brought out a offer to match even better!
This offer is only via enquiry only as they are not advertising this offer until they identify how many users take up the talk talk offer, but it is available from today. Phone them up and ask.
Lets compare:

Details for Talk Talk
£29.99 set up fee
40GB cap download limit per month
Upto 8MB download speed (realistically less than 5% will get 8MB, most will get 1MB/2MB)
18 Month Contract
Telephone line
Call plan - talk talk
£20.99 a month

Details for NTL:
Free set up - no fee
Unlimited Download Limit per month
2MB Broadband (garanteed)
12 Month Contract
Telephone line
Talk unlimited 24 call plan
£20.99 a month
Interesting word garantueed, ntl marketing not knowing whats going on I see then as many parts of their network cant handle 2 meg speeds and that could cause people to complain when they download from australia and dont get 2mbit.

I can see the broadband market changing yet again now but the only winners will be light users, heavier users are in big trouble now as everything is shaping towards low end pricing and caps and shaping. This is why we got the shaping here because everything is based on ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â£ÃƒÆ ’‚£ of product and its all customers are looking at, this is why I am not so keen on this product.

Ntl themselves now are in a mess because after all this time they still havent sorted out their capping, it is easily breached on the top tier still so I assume they still have no capability to properly enforce it, leaving them to either offer low speeds with unlimited or high speeds and a cap, the 10mbit with 75gig cap now looks a very bad product, the lower 2 tiers are still attractive because of their "unlimited" but only compared to BT ipstream and wannadoo, other LLU do blow them out of the water.

With reliability and quality, I wouldnt rare ntl good in that regard, out of almost 3 years of service I must have had well over 12 months of ubr oversubscription problems, proxy problems, billing problems, peering problems. The only good thing is I havent had any actual full on outages.

If ntl were to compete they need to sort out their capping so it is an actual cap rather then just a detterant and I expect the cap would also have to be raised to a 3 figure number for 34.99, this will kill of the 3tb+ downloaders and give them extra revenue and able to offer higher speeds for a lower price. Alternatively they could just do what telewest have done and simply raise the speeds of bottom 2 tiers and make the top tier unlimited but I fear ntl simply havent got the network capacity to handle the increased traffic everything seems to be borderline with saturation all the time.

Perhaps something like this.

Phone alone basic £11.50
Tv alone basic base (analogue) £7
2mb BB alone unlimited £29.99

Free BB offer.
Phone + tlk u24 + tv family pack £29.99 includes free 2mbit BB 12 month contract.
If leave contract only £100 admin fee.

10mb bb offer 50gig.
Phone + tlk u24 + pay by direct debit + tv family pack + sky movies + sky sports + pay for 3 ppv events per month £44.99
Includes 10mb bb 50gig cap
£100 leave fee
24 mnth contract.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote