View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 17:38   #228
Aye Up
Barking up the wrong tree

Services: VM Gig1
Aye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enough
Re: John Malone/Liberty/VM General News Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I know what Vodafone want, including considering launching their own pay tv service, but where once they were dominate in their field, they're now the number three player.

Lets not forget 5g. Mobile companies need fibre networks to help them power their mobile networks if we're all going to download hd/4k films onto mobile devices in seconds. VM has a fibre network, so does Talktalk, albeit a smaller one.

I don't see TalkTalk surviving much longer in any case after their data breach, so Vodafone could in theory buy both of them.
VF sacked off launching their own PayTV service because it was a pain in the arse to run, cancelled at considerable cost getting out of the carriage agreements.

VF is already prepped for 5G, money ready and waiting to be spent. You forget VF has about £72bn on its balance sheet waiting to be spent, its not like they don't have the means to do it.

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I think you very much pay for what you get in this case. Although TalkTalk will be cheaper to buy outright, Vodafone would have to invest a few billion quid into it to bring it up to spec. VM is currently running well and expanding and you get a lot more infrastructure for your money.

Hard to say really. Voda needs to do something, they are not exactly competitive at the moment.
I don't disagree with anything you say, it just comes down to money if I'm honest. TT is easier to justify given its relatively cheap price but also crucially its customer base which is comparable to VM. Vodafone has its own large fibre network which would integrate well with TT, so infrastructure side I don't think thats a worry.

VM is a more advanced company that is true, it is well established and has a proper solid quadplay offering. I just don't think Vodafone is readsy to splash the £15bn+ on one market alone, given they already have a sizable foothold and a rapidly growing broadband customer base.

I just think VM will cost too much, its a prize asset, just not one VF needs.
Aye Up is offline   Reply With Quote