View Single Post
Old 08-09-2004, 18:33   #210
DeadKenny
Inactive

Services: PlusNet 2Mbps Premier. BT. Sky Digital. TiVo.
DeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enough
Re: Want ADSL?-Read on....

Posted this in this thread, but that was a bit off topic, so I'll post it here instead ...

Basically to summarise, I'm thinking of kicking NTL out the window and going with ASDL. Currently have NTL phone and Cable Modem. A few questions though...

In regards to porting the number, would I get a number initially from BT, then if the line is installed okay, I tell NTL I want to cancel and tell BT I want to port the number?

Slightly worrying though the mention that some numbers are not 'portable'. Any way of finding out if your number is one of those? I don't really want to lose the number at the moment (though I could resort to paying both NTL and BT line rentals and use BT just for ADSL. I could still probably get ADSL cheap enough to make it equivalent to what I'm paying at the moment).

The main issue though is finding an ADSL provider that don't have transparent proxies, don't block any ports, allow you to run servers without restriction (email and web especially), don't have a download cap, don't use a premium-rate support line, and don't make you wait 40 minutes and cut you off when you do call support.

I've had PlusNet recommended to me... 2Mbps for £39 a month, 1Mbps for £29.99 a month. NTL... wake up and smell the real world

I'll also need to get a plain Ethernet ADSL modem (no need for a router as I've got one), but I've got my eye on one that's fairly cheap.

The possible screw up on all of this is BT saying my line is too crap for ADSL. At least if they say I can only have 512kbps I will get 256kbps upstream which is mainly what I want.
DeadKenny is offline   Reply With Quote