Thread: Superhub Virgin Media Figures
View Single Post
Old 21-08-2018, 23:21   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewi9 View Post
I believe I would need to set the hub into modem mode and use a cat 5/6 cable to check further - is that correct ?
Nope for two reasons. Firstly, unless there was a major issue with the shub, doing a wired test in router mode should give the same result as modem mode so you can leave it as it is and just attach cables.
You dont need to do it anyway now because you have elimated the wan connection as the issue by getting 85mbits on 5ghz which is pretty much full speed. You have demonstrated that it is the shubs crappy wifi which is the problem and the best way to fix it is to buy a proper to replace the shub (which will have better wireless) or another router to work in conjunction with the shub and serve as an access point.

You also need to bear in mind the results are slightly skewed by the fact that you are using old technology which will give less than optimal performance (wireless adapter on your old laptop). If you have got a newer tablet or phone you can do the same tests for comparison and i think it would help in giving you a more realistic picture of what to expect.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote