View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 18:37   #6267
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
I often get the bbc alert on my phone around 45 seconds before the event when watching football online via nbcsports/nowtv/btsport sometimes it can be upto 2 minutes before the event.
Yes, it’s horrific at the moment, but the new low-latency standards that emerged last year and will be deployed over the next 18 months should make a step-change, from delays of 45 seconds or more to around 5 seconds.

The problem is, for live sports, 5 seconds is still 5 seconds too long, especially if, as you’ve outlined, you have simultaneous access to more than one source of information about an event.

I used to live next door to an Arsenal fanatic whose cheers through the party wall made it sound like he was sitting in my living room whenever he watched them score. If the two of us were both following the same live game using different technologies then even a 5 second delay would potentially be a major spoiler.