View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 12:50   #6072
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
So you say, every time I remind you of it. I suspect you’ve said it so often you’ve convinced yourself it’s true. However I provided the link to the thread from 2015 so anyone sufficiently curious can read the context and the wider discussion and see for themselves that when you first climbed on this hobby horse of yours, you really did think it would be all over for the linear channels in around 10 years.

Of particular interest is your response to the point made about the 10-yearly BBC charter review process which, by its nature, would tend to prolong the presence of linear TV channels in decade-long blocks of time. You engaged with that point but somehow managed not to say anything about being misunderstood with regards to predicting the end of linear broadcast in 10 years from 2015.
Had you gone on to read further, in post #129, I clarified my position on that, as clearly there was some confusion about the 10 years. I stated:

Things will look a lot different by 2025, but the process won't be complete by then. I would think in 20 years, the number of linear channels will have diminished to a handful, if that. There simply won't be enough people watching in this way to sustain the advertising.

It is there for you to see in black and white.

As I said, the quote you brought to our attention above was clearly referring to broadband, and even then, a short time after that, I clarified that full broadband coverage may take a little longer. However, I have stuck to the 2035 prediction I made regarding linear channels and that has not varied. I did not say anything about that 'contradiction' because there wasn't one. The 10 years referred to broadband coverage, which I said would make things look rather different.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 12-08-2019 at 12:55.