View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 16:55   #227
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I agree with Raider999, I don't think Sky lost La Liga. Same way they didn't lose ATP Tennis. They've only got so much space to fill, existing rights get more expensive and certain sports have inconvenience scheduling, they either clash with higher rating events or take too much time to show. They also need to give the illusion of variety, so they can't just show football.

BT Sport is the same. It's juggling budget, audience perception and scheduling. Eurosport takes a different approach, it predominantly shows sports that take large chunks of schedule to do properly, hence cycling, tennis and snooker.

Notice how Sky sponsored a pro cycling team for years but never showed an interest in broadcasting it. There are a lot of events and they can take many hours to even show just one. Sky knew they didn't have the space to schedule it and the audience wasn't necessarily big enough to justify a dedicated channel (remember the Bike channel that existed but folded in recent years).

-------

Sorry for going off thread topic.

Still no sign of the STV HD 103 switch. Guess either the information was wrong, or it was postponed due to technical difficulties.

I suspect if Discovery end up with the 3 channels mentioned in that article they will end up closing them, or their own channels with similar subject matter.
Sky deliberately didn't bid for second tier sports rights as they want to divert the money to other programming, such as drama.

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
According to TVWise Smithsonian Channel will be coming to Freesat, so I think that pretty much means it it be on all Virgin Media packages.

Based on combination of information from TVWise and a516digital it will HD only on all platforms except Freeview, which will be SD.

Really looking forward to this channel.
The Smithsonian Channel is currently testing in both SD & HD on Freesat; it won't be coming to Freeview until at least the Spring.

FTA channels tend to go in either the lowest Player package or the higher Mix package.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote