View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 11:19   #222
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
To be fair, Amazon, Netflix or someone else will probably fight against Sky and bid for football rights. It might not happen now or even in 5 years time, but I think it will come. It's such a lucrative market not to be apart of.

Sky/Virgin and other tv companies are probably lucky that these huge, mega rich streaming companies do not bid sooner. I'd certainly consider my Virgin package if the football wasn't included. Having both Amazon & Netflix subscriptions inc the football would probably still be a lot less than I am paying now.

Afterall, when Sky lost La Liga rights, it showed us that they are not as powerful as they once were. I can't imagine BT wanting to give up the Champions League/Europa League rights back to them too easily either.

The premier league and football league certainly wouldn't care who bought the rights, as long as they get their money.
I don't think Sky 'lost' La Liga - they rightly didn't bid high as it wasn't a priority for them, hence Eleven Sports won the bidding.

Amazon and Netflix are bound to significantly increase their subs if they capture Premiership Football rights, unless they do it as a loss leader - however I can't see that happening as they seem to have no trouble getting new subscribers without Sporting rights.

Personally I think they will stick mainly to what they currently do, only adding the odd sporting coverage when they can pick up a bargain.

Additionally streaming sports will rely on widespread high speed broadband coverage - whilst this has been promised, there is no firm date for everyone to have this and no signs of it happening in the near future. In fact the promise of high speed broadband on trains has recently been reneged on.

Last edited by Raider999; 07-02-2019 at 11:22.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote