View Single Post
Old 30-11-2019, 16:09   #51
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Election 2019 - Week 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
That statement is completely speculative.

Equally as we are 2 trillion in debt with the Tories and the coalition in power for 27 of the last 40 years, despite the windfalls of privatisation, I think it’s demonstrably laughable that the Conservatives aren’t reckless with the economy. That’s without even getting onto Brexit, which by any measure going will weaken the economy.
I'm calling absolute BS on this. I mean, I have to admire your brass neck for trying to average out national debt increases over the last 40 years in order to blame the Tories for it, but how about we introduce some actual facts into the debate.

When you look at where the significant increases in national debt have actually occurred, it's obvious that the one very significant change to the long term trend was spending initiated by Labour during the financial crisis from 2008 onwards.

Obviously the structural deficit that ensued meant the Coalition years saw that figure continue to increase, but then that gives the lie to those on the left that like to simultaneously blame the Tories for the size of the national debt, whilst also trying to claim austerity was never necessary.

In fact the only significant upwards movement in national debt under the Tories, that can be pinned solely on Tory economic policy, is the spike caused by our crash out of the ERM in 1992, and frankly in comparison to where we are now, that looks no worse than someone letting their Christmas shopping get a bit out of hand.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2019-11-30 at 16.08.48.png (131.2 KB, 48 views)