View Single Post
Old 15-01-2004, 14:33   #149
rodd
Permanently Banned

rodd will become famous soon enoughrodd will become famous soon enoughrodd will become famous soon enough
Re: Want ADSL?-Read on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by themelon
I dont think the majority of people are that stupid.......

I will always shop around for the best service, and I think the majority of Internet users are pretty clued up on finding what suits them at the best price.

At the end of the day ntl is still the cheapest braodband provider because you dont have to have a telephone line to get it.

IE.
Any ADSL Broadband requires a BT Line at £9.50 (However BT normally force you onto the £11.50 package *in theirs 'your' best interest!)

Then you will require the service provider at £18 +, so were talkin a minimum of 28 quid!

Britain is a cheapskate nation....will close all our factories down and import shoddy crap from abroad. Most people are attracted by cost.

Certain areas of the ntl network have big problems but others are working great.
NTL are not the best-value BB supplier.

Case example.
I have a ntl telephone line, analogue TV, internet, and BT unconnected line (from when I switched to ntl).

So, reconnecting to BT for free, and taking Plus.net £18.99, plus the modem costing £42, I get 500k download, 250k upload.

Staying with ntl, and taking ntl's 150k (172k actual) £17.99, I get 172k download. 64k upload.

So for £1 more (after initial £42 modem cost) from Plus.net, I get 2.9 times the download speed of ntl, 4 times the upload speed of ntl.

Plus.net is undoubtedly the better value-for-money in that price bracket, by about three times ntl.

Probably half of ntl are in a similar position to me. Roughly half have analogue, last I heard, and it's likely that most will have a BT line in place, ready for reconnection.

As customers become aware of the better ADSL value that can be had, you can see that ntl can potentially lose half of their customers.
rodd is offline   Reply With Quote