View Single Post
Old 29-08-2020, 16:08   #3336
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Indeed, it specifically goes against the 'norms' we've established on referenda on constitutional matters.

The rest of the post is, broadly, confrontational. Indeed, had the EU drawn such arbitrary red (or blue) lines in terms of the UK future relationship withe the EU many on this forum would be furious.

---------- Post added at 15:55 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

I've not said, in this thread, that anyone is out and out wrong. There's a few people misunderstanding how macroeconomic levers work, but I don't think they are approaching the discussion in bad faith.

Seph is, rightly I suppose, creating a high bar in England's interest (why wouldn't England seek to do so?) whether any reasonable person in Scotland would agree with them or not is a different matter.
The EU vs Scotland thing is a complete red herring and bear no relation to one another. For starters, the EU is trying to expand its centralised competencies whereas the UK is devolving them to its sub-nations.

As regards the high bar, that could, I suppose, be considered to be in the interests of Wales and NI as well. It's difficult to see, though, how that high bar benefits the rest of the UK. It simply tells the fools in Scotland who want to secede that they are on a road to disaster and don't expect any help from the British (or whatever you call it) tax payer. Really, sod 'em. Those who want to remain with the UK can emigrate south or west.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote