View Single Post
Old 28-11-2019, 08:11   #1155
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
It implies nothing of the sort , it's merely the distribution method that will change.

Funny linear is still mentioned here
When most people refer to 'linear channels', they are talking about existing scheduled broadcast channels and I was using that commonly understood terminology.

Strictly speaking, of, course, 'linear' channels embraces live broadcasts, and of course they will continue, just as the BBC i-Player is able to provide live broadcasts. If we didn't have the ability to do this, we wouldn't have any live sport anymore, which would be unacceptable.

My point was that the idea of having, say, ITV, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4 etc is unlikely to continue when the existing transmission system is changed to IPTV. Everything will be under just one ITV banner or maybe grouped completely differently, as Britbox does.

Of course, we will still get our programmes and it is, as you say, a different means of transmission. However, everything will be presented differently and you will just be able to pick the programmes you want to view, which brings the choice of what to watch and when to the viewer instead of the scheduler. Obviously, news and sport will still be shown live, which goes without saying, really.

---------- Post added at 08:11 ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
“Mobile phone lobby to make case for more bandwidth” - it’s hardly news, is it Old Boy?

If you actually read the 2013 OFCOM document it merely refers to the possibility of using UHF frequencies in the “long term” of which the date 2030 features consistently throughout as an entirely arbitrary date. Further away than 2020 which is medium term (now actually a mere few weeks away). There’s also many assumptions made and outlined throughout the document and it’d be interesting to see if they held up through to 2020.

Considering it took from 1997 to 2012 to switch of analogue television I’d not be holding my breath for 2030. That said, it doesn’t preclude live linear channels from broadcasting over 5G, satellite, cable or fixed line internet in any case.

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

The DVB-I ecosystem
While DVB-I refers in particular to the forthcoming specifications for service discovery and programme information, the ecosystem extends to other DVB specifications. DVB-DASH was recently updated to include a low latency mode, while a specification for Multicast Adaptive Bit Rate streaming will be finalized in early 2020. Both are key to achieving scalable, efficient delivery of linear content over broadband networks.

This looks magnificent.
You are right to say that 2030 is not cast in stone, but it cannot be. Things are moving so fast, it could be before that, or if there are unforeseen technical difficulties, it could be later. However, what cannot be denied is that Ofcom policy-making as far back as 2013 was planning for the release of TV frequencies in 2030. That being the case, my prediction that existing scheduled TV channels will have disappeared by 2035 cannot be far off.

For the sake of clarity, I am not saying that 'live' broadcasts will disappear, simply that they will be streamed instead. I really do not think the broadcasters will want to perpetuate the clumsy scheduled system that we have now. On demand viewing is growing in popularity and is really taking off now. There will be such a small demand for viewing in the conventional way by 2030 that broadcasters will seize the opportunity for change when existing broadcasting measures cease.

Maybe there will still be some Pluto-type options available for those who like that sort of thing, but I doubt that will prove to be a mainstream method of viewing.