View Single Post
Old 24-10-2019, 23:30   #1142
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I have been reporting on a lot of depressing news about the likely fate of the linear channels over the last four years, but here is a glimmer of light for those who cannot imagine life without them.

I have been struck by how few new dramas are now finding their way to the TV channels, and next week's TV & Satellite Week appears to confirm the decline of our conventional channels. No new dramas starting at all next week apart from a new series of Arrow on Sky One, whereas just three years ago, there were always lots of new good drama series commencing every week at this time of year.

Compare that with all the new stuff on Netflix, Amazon and now Apple+. TV & Satellite Week have gone from two or three pages of programmes on the streamers to nine this week!

Then, this afternoon, I read the article in the link below, which seems to suggest a change in thinking about programme distribution, and it got me wondering. Given that the number of views of programmes on the streamers is likely to decline with time, what if they then allowed the linear channels to have the right to broadcast them, either exclusively or shared with the streamer? This would bolster the revenues of the streaming companies while replenishing the content of the TV channels.

Of course, this will only work if sufficient people continue to watch scheduled TV interrupted by commercials, but it is, as I said, a glimmer of hope.

https://tbivision.com/2019/10/18/how...-again-column/

[EXTRACT]

After Netflix CEO Reed Hastings suggested at the RTS Convention in Cambridge last month that the US streamer may now be more flexible with the global rights they once pushed for so rigorously, it feels that the rules have yet again been re-defined for distributors and broadcasters. Indeed, it was reported in Cannes that rights to Netflix’s epic original drama The Crown will apparently soon be heading back to Sony Pictures Entertainment – a massive reversal to linear distribution. How the game has changed.

In the past, some traditional linear broadcasters could have seen Netflix as the enemy, but are they now viewing them as more of a strategic partner? Will more of the shows that originated on these platforms now actually be up for grabs by linear broadcasters going forward?
Laughable introductory rhetoric there. It’s easy to imagine life without linear, even life without television!

I can’t imagine life without economics though and that’s always where your argument consistently falls down.