View Single Post
Old 10-06-2021, 11:10   #1212
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
It's very disappointing to see Andrew and Jon explaining things from the enemy's perspective. Johnson signed a bum deal and here we are - in difficulty.

But coming at the results of Johnson's folly from a defensive EU perspective is downright unpatriotic.

The Referendum authorised the Guvmin to leave the EU; the Remainers bemoaned this and now are in total "we told you so" mode.

It is bad that Biden sides with Ireland. He is equally of English and Irish descent (so far as I have ascertained) but he openly declares himself as Irish-American. That immediately places him with the perfidious Varadkar and Coveney. So, Biden is no friend of ours.

Then there's Coveny, the tail wagging the EU dog. I hope this all comes back to bite him when he finds his country's exports screwed because of EU intransigence. There is very little now that can stop the Unionist backlash on both Johnson and Ireland. The Marching Season (a stupidity in itself) will likely bring violence and Biden will not have protected the Belfast Agreement; the violence can't be stopped, imo, and Johnson is going to face the music for this.

But we must not give in to the EU, whose only true aim is to punish the UK for daring to leave its poxy hegemony.

If you want to sort things out, you need an honest assessment of the situation. Pretending we're playing cowboys and indians with an enemy is a tad simplistic.

I would also highlight that it's not pro-anyone to point out that Biden values the Irish vote back home. It's also not pro-anyone that the Democrats see the Good Friday Agreement as one of their strongest diplomatic achievements, to be strongly defended.

And it's not Jon, me or the EU who issued the UK with a démarche, a formal diplomatic reprimand, for inflaming the rhetoric in Northern Ireland. That was the USA.

There seem to be four options:
1) Kick the tin can down the road and agree a postponement
2) As you have suggested, we can go for veterinary equivalence and sign up to EU rules. But as Jon has warned, we then risk being described as a vassal state
3) We don't supply chilled meats, etc to Northern Ireland
4) We break an international treaty and carry on supplying NI with chilled meat products, etc past the deadline of 30th June.

If you're David Frost, which one would you choose? Or is there another option?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote