View Single Post
Old 17-10-2020, 21:26   #3487
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Thumbs up Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
<SNIP>

England got a big say on the EU referendum and is taking Scotland out against its will. But it needs to devolve more power and importantly money regionally. That would certainly help Track and Trace, for example. But this current government like many others is all about centralisation.

I suppose that's one way of spinning it; but spin/nuance it is.

For the Referendum, there was no constitutional basis for each province (for want of a better term) to have a veto - or even qualified majority(!).

The Referendum was, as you know, UK wide and implemented on that basis. Of course, the government could have made some laws after the result so as to deal with regionality issues, but it didn't.

The SNP are making hay with this for their own purposes. We can all see what hypocrites they are because they want freedom the UK but want also to surrender that freedom to the EU. The SNP is all about a power grab, waling the world's corridors of Chief Ministers.

I would want to bring the SNP to heel. By all means devolve more powers to NI and Wales - but the Guvmin should withhold that from Scotland until the SNP behave more like it is part of the Union (which they won't). There should be no further referendum at least not before the next General Election. Whatever new powers we might offer them, they'll demand more.

I'm reasonably sure that the Scottish people are as fickle as anyone, in this case I'd say Boris and his manner/speech whatever is what's putting them off. But the people haven't analysed the financial situation, don't know from where the £15 billion spending gap will be plugged.

Otherwise, sod 'em.

---------- Post added at 20:26 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Sturgeon is not ignorant of these issues and would prefer to hold a vote at the point of maximum advantage. Her problem is one of party management. The SNP is eating itself up at the moment, and while it has managed to more or less keep a lid on it so far it has the potential to blow up spectacularly next year, if Salmond decides to exact his revenge by launching a new “Indy now” party in time for the election. A lot of the party hardliners think the most important thing is to get a vote ASAP, win it by hook or by crook, and worry about the fallout later.
Exactamundo.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote