View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 09:27   #57
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: [update] Santa Fe school shooting: 10 dead and 10 wounded in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas View Post
So you overlooked my point entirely (or just didn't get it). Why focus on the gun instead of the shooter? Why not ban the criminal, not an inanimate object?

(Thanks for telling me though I am well aware of what massacres were perpetrated by whom using what weapon etc, now back to the question at hand...)
You are resorting to denial again. Of course the criminal is the focus. The type of weapon he/she uses is also the focus. The massacre in Vegas would not have been possible without the legal procurement of the AR-15 and the like. Try killing/injuring 800+ long range from the 32nd floor of a high rise with a shotgun.

Quote:
Oh, I got that - but why? Why some arbitrary set of specifications in regards to semi automatics? Btw automatic weapons / new purchases of machine guns remain illegal.
Really, arbitrary set?

arbitrary: "based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system."

BTW, bump stops can be used to simulate fully automatic mode for semi-automatic types. Yes, a new law is proposed to ban these but given the wide option on procurement home & abroad plus the near-future option on using 3D printers to make them at home, the ban would be ineffective.

Quote:
You are yet to tell me why the subset or type? You can't pick an arbitrary group of weapons on a whim (for any particular nefarious purpose) and just whimsically decide to ban it for some lackadaisical reason.
I have not been clear obviously. Let me try again: semi-automatic guns kill large numbers of people quickly and at long range when compared to other gun types. Clear?

Arbitrary, Whim, Lackadaisical, Nefarious: really?

Quote:
I know you feel that they should have the right / opportunity to do as much but instead of thinking up new fantasies of ideas of what rights that they should and should not have, how about you try not to infringe upon the rights that they already have (like the second amendment).
You are absolutely right, let's not infringe on their rights to kill large numbers of people quickly and at long range if they so choose to do so. I mean what is the cost of human life when compared to the pleasure of impersonating Rambo.

Quote:
What a crass thing to say. When a loved one has lost a child / brother etc, you claim that their prayers do nothing?

Wow.
It would be wow indeed if thoughts and prayers brought the dead back to life .... but they don't. They are no substitute