View Single Post
Old 25-10-2021, 15:16   #15
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Number one on your bucket list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
In 1996 I had an interview for an IT position...in County Antrim, would you believe. Hell of a trip just for an interview, but the job would've been worth it. Much to my surprise the dole did in fact pay my expenses (travel plus 2 nights staying in a boarding house in Belfast - the Botanic, I heartily recommend it). Anyway, while I was there it occurred to me that one place I'd always wanted to see, the Giant's Causeway, is in fact in Antrim.

Idea!

Plan: get to Belfast and settle in for the night; get a train in the morning to the interview; get back to Belfast to change out of my suit; go to the Causeway; get back to Belfast for the night; go home the next day and pray I'd got the job.

Well, it all went according to plan event-wise...but between the time to get to and from the interview, time to get to the Causeway and time to get the last train back to Belfast, I calculated I could spend exactly...ten minutes there.

I agonised over this. But when would I ever get the chance again if I didn't get the job? So, a 10-minute stay it was, and it's an amazing sight. I didn't think to take a camera, though. While I was there I looked out to the sea and promised her I would return for a proper visit, with a camera...one day.

I have yet to fulfil this promise. However, now I've been taken on by Stateside Foods and am now a full-time employee, 12-hour shifts but only working 7 days in every 14, paid at £12.36 p/h, the expense of the travel and getting time off work to make the trip should now be less of a problem than it has been in the last 25 years (and I still can't believe it's been that long!).

Giant's Causeway, here I come!

awesome stuff
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote