View Single Post
Old 28-06-2019, 16:04   #5491
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I don't buy into Netflix destroying them , let's see what happens when Netflix has its third party content pulled and it's starts feeling the competition from the other new entrants.
When I used the word destroyed, I meant that Netflix has completely changed the way that these companies need to do business and if they don't adapt, that will destroy them.

---------- Post added at 16:04 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Although many of the new streaming companies may choose at first to make their content exclusive to their own streamers, I think that in the end, they will be forced to allow their shows to be screened on other TV channels and streamers like Netflix to make up for lost income. The more streamers there are competing against one another, the more likely this becomes. Good news for the linear TV channels if the content drought for them is eased or comes to an end.
Each streamer needs to make its own service distinct, so although Disney and others may loosen up in the end, the whole reason for going DTC (direct to consumer) is to cut out the middleman which is why I don't see Disney allowing other streamers/channels to get their hands on Star Wars, Marvel etc.

Quote:
As far as I am concerned as a consumer, an ideal situation would be for all content to be loaded up into the cloud, and for a subscription, to be permitted to watch up to a certain number of hours of content over the month (say 80 hours). After that, a further subscription for the month or PPV would be the option. The studios would get the appropriate cut of that subscription according to the number of views.

Whether that ever comes to pass or not, I have no idea, but it would be a good solution for punters.
It sounds like a great idea, a super Netflix, but I don't see these competing companies going down that road, otherwise they would've just stuck with Netflix.

---------- Post added at 19:00 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

Quote:
I don't see Netflix as a kind of internet monster. Netflix is not specifically out to destroy the competition and I don't see any predatory signs as I did with Sky in the darkest Murdoch days.

The success of each streamer will depend on the quality and genre(s) of its content, the amount of it and value for money compared with the alternatives. Other factors will also come into it, such as whether an AVOD alternative is available for those who do not wish to subscribe, whether they are accessible on all major platforms and whether they agree to being part of bundled services on these platforms.

Eleven Sports is an example of what happens when you can't get onto a major platform, although other factors were also at play in that example.
It's not a case of Netflix's boss waking up each day and plotting the destruction of his rivals (although he may, who knows) its simply the case that he came up with a way to watch films that's better than the existing media companies and if they don't adapt, they will die.

I do see Netflix as a internet monster, though. One that's gone from nothing to being the largest media company in the world and knocking out a major rival (Murdoch) along the way.