View Single Post
Old 30-11-2018, 10:17   #4762
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Yeah I noticed that uk streaming service TV Player now charges £9.99 per month for their full channel line up.

Not too long ago I thought a combination of tv player and now tv would be a good cheap alternative to a TV subscription service. SKY entertainment plus kids TV pack cost's £25 per month. The streaming alternative via TV Player and now tv cost's almost £22 per month

Don't get me wrong you can get good deals on streaming if you buy annual passes.
Although you mustn't forget that prices on our pay tv packages go up as well.

It also depends on the choices you make. Certainly, if you want to subscribe to everything that's on offer in the future, you would end up paying more (although you would get even more content) but my point all along has been that we will be getting more viewing for less when things settle down. Netflix and Amazon have demonstrated the sheer amount of choice they have on offer for less than a tenner a month each compared with the choice of programmes you want to watch that are available on scheduled pay tv.

There is a limit to how much anyone can watch over the course of the year. For most people, we are talking about 2-3 hours a night in the winter months, and substantially less during summer, plus weekend viewing, which might add a couple of hours a day to that viewing total. That being the case, it would be rather extravagent to subscribe to everything, because you wouldn't have sufficient hours in the day to watch even a fraction of that.

Personally, Chad, I would not subscribe to TV Player because almost all of their channels are free via my TV aerial, although I appreciate that you may not be in a position to receive Freeview for some reason where you live. But in the future, I can see live terrestrial TV being offered by way of the internet free of charge by some operators whose funding comes from other chargeable content. The new venture from the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 (and 5?) may offer this either as a live tv option on their new site, and/or perhaps in 'on demand' format.

I am not denying that if you take everything offered that you will pay more. But if you choose carefully the services that give you what you and your family actually want to watch, you will almost certainly end up paying less for a much better choice.

The jury is out on sport at the moment and it is far too early to predict how this will pan out. However, if as I suspect, the big players start bidding for the more lucrative rights, we will see a position developing where up to three or four big players dominate, with smaller players offering less popular or niche sports. What will be interesting to see is whether companies like Amazon also start offering boxing and horse racing via their sports subscriptions.

For those on a small budget, you cannot deny that the streaming services have brought pay-tv within reach of many who could not even contemplate a subscription to Sky, Virgin or BT. For just over a fiver a month, they can now get all those Freeview channels together with Netflix. That is a very good choice of content for them.