View Single Post
Old 23-03-2008, 02:41   #1653
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post

But, this campaign must go mainstream if we are to kill off the issue once and for all.

Now, how do we best do that?
As a follow up, what are the impressions of a company that allows people to work from home? What do they think about home-workers accessing their systems through a 'tapped' connection?

I have FE Colleges amongst my clients. They take data protection very seriously. All would be horrified if they knew data streams would be scanned.

Increasing numbers of Colleges allow staff and students to access College e-mail remotely via web-mail. Staff may also access student records remotely.

Next week I will raise issues with them; should Institutions block access to staff and students who use Phorm enabled ISP's?

Should staff and students be advised to change ISP's or should the institutions scale down efforts to implement things like virtual learning environments, available at home? (Government policy to push these things out asap)

Finally, I will raise these issues on a closed Jiscmail group that is read by most people working in FE data processing in the country. Astonishingly, as far as I know, the issue has never been raised there.

Does anybody here work in schools? Many schools are setting up facilities for parents to view their child's attendance records etc from home. It may be that your child attends such a school. What does the school think?

Personal records of young people are rightfully a concern to everybody and need to become part of the issue.

It may well be that you can also raise concerns where you work, and thus broaden the campaign against this serious danger?

Could this be the biggest step backwards in striving towards the goal of an e-enabled society?