View Single Post
Old 23-03-2008, 03:19   #1652
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedee View Post
Apologies.
I thought RIPA was concerned with identifiable data rather than anonymised elements of a clickstream.
No apologies needed. Personally Identifiable data is one of the key issue regarding the data protection act. RIPA is to do with interception of communications and is a whole other ball game. As I said though, its yet to be determined in court whether Phorms system would break RIPA but experts such as the Open Rights Group, Foundation for Information Policy Research and a professor from the LSE (I cant remember who right now) all think its likely it will. When it comes to the secret trial BT/Phorm ran last year I think its almost a certainty that it DID break ripa as a key part of RIPA is consent and BT did not gain consent and even went further by denying the trial was going on at the time.

That said, it shall be interesting to see how the police react when a formal complaint is made to them.