View Single Post
Old 25-08-2019, 20:00   #6203
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Moreover, digital switchover couldn’t even begin until there existed a free digital terrestrial service that was widely understood to be free. OnDigital and then ITV Digital failed because they looked like just another subscription service and created the impression that it wasn’t possible to get into digital TV if your interests went no further than freely available public service broadcasters.

It wasn’t until the BBC took the lead in rebranding digital terrestrial TV as Freeview that set top box sales began to climb to levels where analogue broadcast switch-off dates could be proposed.

There is a large constituency of TV viewers in the UK who aren’t interested in paying for TV and won’t buy any hardware that’s not essential. They’re never going to buy a fire stick, a Roku, Britbox or Now TV.
From what I remember, when OnDigital started, the only way to get a DTT box was through them, so the impression was actually correct.

When Sky started giving out 'free' boxes, OnDigital started doing the same, so I guess that people could then subscribe for the minimum period and then use the box for the FTA channels.

---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I have a connected TV. It's a 2014 model. When I got it, it supported iPlayer, Netflix and YouTube. None of these work any more. This could get quite costly (if I was bothered about streaming; luckily I'm not)
Whenever I buy a TV, I don't take it's smart capabilities into consideration, I just view it as a medium term bonus.

Rightly or wrongly, it's become clear that these features will only last for a fixed number of year. Not too much of a problem as there are virtually free options available eg a Now TV box.

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
The good thing with Virgin/Sky is with Netflix . Amazon Prime and Youtube on their STB one does not encounter that problem.
True.

---------- Post added at 20:00 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
A law has to be enforceable to ensure compliance. Do people exceed the speed limit? Do people illegally stream television? Of course. Yet these are illegal.

So if a retailer, such as Amazon, is shipping televisions from abroad will we ban them from entering the UK unless there's a guarantee the software will be maintained for ten years?

Add into the mix I'm sure the nations that are major manufacturers of televisions wouldn't particularly like this kind of rule for one small country. It'd never get through trade negotiations.
I wonder if the 'Fit for purpose' legislation would help with this?