View Single Post
Old 15-01-2007, 20:55   #4
Bill C

Re: Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrk View Post
I live in Swansea, South Wales, and usually with ntl my newsgroup access and a few websites run at full speed (1200 kilo bytes p/s) on my 10meg connection.

However.

Last night, Sunday 14th, my speed dropped to almost exactly 5meg speed (580 kilo bytes p/s) and stayed there all night. Now me being the trusting soul that I am put it down to a small fault somewhere and ignored it and when I got home from work tonight, low and behold my speed had returned to the full 10meg speed.

However.

By 7:30 this evening my speed had once again dropped to 5meg. At this point I thought wtf and decided to call India. At which point I was told to try the usual bumpf like rebooting, downloading from Microsoft etc which came to the conclusion that I was indeed getting 5 meg

Now, here comes the interesting point. The guy I was talking to told me that somewhere around 7:30 ish my modem had picked up a 5 meg config file. He then removed and re added my modem back into SABS and then advised of the old chesnut to wait 2 hours. At this point I was about to start shouting but then thought to check my speed. And what would you guess, once again I am getting 10 meg.

Now wtf is going on here?

For the last 2 nights at least ntl have been sending a 5 meg config file to my modem at around the 7 o'clock mark. I did ask the question as to whether traffic shaping was going on but was told no.

I didn't check my modem config file this evening untill it was to late and by then the modem had been re added, but I will be checking again if the same thing happens tomorrow and update but has anyone else seen this kind of thing?

Cheers all
NTL as far as i know cannot send a config to a modem each night and change it each morning. I checked my logs and the logs of my friends modem and it has never changed.

I will try to download of giganews now and post a screen shot.