Thread: General Streaming using powerlines
View Single Post
Old 15-02-2018, 11:00   #3
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

AlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Streaming using powerlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
First, I'd say you are not in modem mode because you are driving a Powerline from a hub Ethernet port.

Second, driving the V6 over WiFi is a bad idea unless you (not the VM tech who knows nothing imo) are certain that there is a strong 5GHz channel signal at the V6 box. You probably don't know whether the V6 is connecting using the dodgy 2.4GHz band or the 5GHz band.

To bring this under control, I recommend you do what I do. I have 2 x TIVO boxes all connected to my router via Powerline adaptors in different parts of the house. I strongly recommend you buy another PLW1200 (with mains pass-through).

Next there's the matter of modem mode. The hubs - all models - are poor devices under load. Yet you have an Apple Router (an Airport Extreme). They are excellent routers, albeit Apple quirky. You might actually care to put your hub into modem mode and work off the AE.

Finally I use Netgear Powerline in one of my houses and am totally satisfied with them. I no longer use an Apple Router but the one I have served me well before I switched to ASUS (no need for you to do so).

Keep us posted.
Thanks for your reply. I logged into the hub to check and you are right, we are in modem mode even though I asked the engineer when he was here to make sure it was set up to use the Apple router.

When I check the settings on the TV that is connected to the V6 box it says the WiFi connection speed is anything between 49% and 55%, the 49% figure came up as 'marginal', I now wonder if that is why we get a lot of pixelation on the TV screen? Our hub is probably about 20 feet away and upstairs, so not close at all to the V6 box.

I must have been on the phone to CS for nearly an hour this morning. Spoke with 3 different people and finally got to talk to someone who was English! Now have an engineer coming tomorrow morning to see if the V6 box needs to be hardwired. Is there anything I should ask about the settings that might help with the powerlines
AlabasterLyn is offline   Reply With Quote