Thread: General Streaming using powerlines
View Single Post
Old 15-02-2018, 07:11   #2
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Streaming using powerlines

First, I'd say you are not in modem mode because you are driving a Powerline from a hub Ethernet port.

Second, driving the V6 over WiFi is a bad idea unless you (not the VM tech who knows nothing imo) are certain that there is a strong 5GHz channel signal at the V6 box. You probably don't know whether the V6 is connecting using the dodgy 2.4GHz band or the 5GHz band.

To bring this under control, I recommend you do what I do. I have 2 x TIVO boxes all connected to my router via Powerline adaptors in different parts of the house. I strongly recommend you buy another PLW1200 (with mains pass-through).

Next there's the matter of modem mode. The hubs - all models - are poor devices under load. Yet you have an Apple Router (an Airport Extreme). They are excellent routers, albeit Apple quirky. You might actually care to put your hub into modem mode and work off the AE.

Finally I use Netgear Powerline in one of my houses and am totally satisfied with them. I no longer use an Apple Router but the one I have served me well before I switched to ASUS (no need for you to do so).

Keep us posted.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote