View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 22:27   #3980
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
It will be interesting to see how that works out. What exactly is "Sky's full tv service"? Will it include the FTA shopping channels and dross available on satellite or will Sky be a little more selective in providing a service where they have more control?
Will it even be a "tv" service as we know it?

What's the point of pumping hundreds of channels down a pipe, when you can just have catgories of shows/films like Netflix does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by love Virgin2013 View Post
Could Now TV days be numbered then as dont see the point of it going on if Sky are bringing out there IPTV service?
I would take that query one step further and ask if Sky's satellite tv service could be numbered, albeit in the distant future?

Now TV was a stepping stone, to pick up some Freeview viewers and turn them into pay tv viewers, or to pick up some lapsed Sky viewers who cancelled their satellite tv subs.

I suppose the two brands could be ran side-by-side, one being the free/cheaper brand, the other being the premium one, but I'm not so sure. In part, it may depend if Sky ever become properly involved in networks, which they've always said they won't.

Sky still have their fibre joint venture going and with BT (Openreach) lowering their fibre to the premise prices, Sky may finally jump on that bandwagon too. Although with a potential Disney deal looming, it seems everything is up in the air at the moment.

If Sky were to offer a "proper" broadband package faster than 80mb coupled with a decent tv offering pumped down a fibre line, it could be killer app for them and a killer app against VM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
As long as it's better than their pathetic Skygo i'll be interested.
Sky still have the rights to all new films and if they become part of Disney, in effect they will give them control of one third of Hollywood's back library and future rights.