View Single Post
Old 25-01-2022, 09:51   #10
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Why are there still SD Channels and HD Channels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgollop View Post
I had the Telewest TVDrive 15 years ago and it downscaled BBC HD quite happily to my CRT TV, surely the newer boxes do the same? I can't imagine there are any SD boxes left on the VM network now?
There are no SD-only boxes on VM, haven't been for a while now.

Only the Original VM Tivo has a SCART, all the other models currently supplied by VM only have HDMI output (there are other outputs but they are disabled), so are basically for HD TVs only (unless you get your own converter device/cable).

I've not have my morning coffee, so I await someone pointing out I've got something misremembered somewhere.

---------- Post added at 09:51 ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi112 View Post
Thank you for the replies I wrongly assumed every VM customer must have the VM V6 box as a minimum therefore are using a HDMI Connection....

I just find it slightly odd that in terms of changing channels to HD on Cable and Freeview things appear to be going at a snails pace. is this probably due to the bandwidth required?
V6 has basically been the minimum for a while, but TV-Only Customers, still had Original VM Tivo as it doesn't require you to be a Broadband Customer since it has a built-in dedicated internet connection.

Freeview's snail pace is a combination of lack of space and legacy installed equipment, there's (proportionally) a lot of SD-Only Freeview equipment still in use, broadcasters on Digital Terrestrial don't want to lose those viewers, it's the largest platform.

An example: On 1st July 2021 5Select (though it remained SD) moved to a transmission that only works on HD-capable Freeview devices, though had 8% more UK population coverage. Despite it also being available on other platforms like VM, Sky and Freesat, 5Select ratings went down approx 28% in its first few weeks, and they've never fully recovered, they are still 20% down. Those ratings figures are for all platforms, so the Freeview proportion must be bigger and demonstrates the installbase without the required HD equipment.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote