View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 17:02   #1
bilbo64
Inactive

bilbo64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Will a "better" homeplug help me?

Hi,

We switched to Virgin 50meg last week and since then my media centre extender either won't connect at all, or doesn't stay connected long enough to be of any use.

Also, my p2p program (utorrent) kills off my internet connection when it gets up to a certain d/l rate. None of this ever happened with the lower speed service we had from Sky.

My dlink dir615 router is next to the modem downstairs at the front of the house. It is connected to the DMA2200 media centre extender via ethernet cable. A devolo high speed 85mbps homeplug runs from the router to the mains and another one feeds my main pc, which is upstairs at the back of the house (where else!). The router also serves my wife's laptop wirelessly, and another homeplug serves my sons xbox upstairs. All this was fine before Virgin.

I spoke to tech support today, and I think we narrowed down the problem to the homeplugs themselves - that they can't cope with the higher bandwidth - but after I hung up and thought about it for a while I'm not so sure. The homeplugs are 85mbps - surely they can cope with the 50meg broadband? Would 200mbps homeplugs do the job?

I hope someone can help! I'm reluctant to buy more homeplugs if that's not really where the problem is, particularly as I've just bought a new router thinking that that was the problem!
bilbo64 is offline   Reply With Quote